Sunday, November 20, 2011

South Dallas Better Block and Gospel BBQ

Team Better Block is known for putting on great events around the city that bring communities together. Yesterday they had an event along Grand Avenue in South Dallas just a few blocks from Fair Park. Given the inclusion of "Gospel BBQ" in the name, this is not an event I could pass up. There's plenty that can be said about the set-up, the entertainment or limited amount of attendees, but I'll leave that to others. I was there for the barbecue.



First up was Teal's Ribs. These folks had a storefront in Cedar Hill that I tried to visit but found them closed a couple of times for various reasons before they were closed for good. I don't know much about them other than ribs are the obvious specialty. On this day they also offered a turkey leg at the Disney World-like price of $10. I peeled back the foil to find a pale leg that required the finger test to see if it was cooked. It was indeed cooked, but to call it a smoked turkey leg was definitely false advertising.



After getting beyond the gummy skin, the meat beneath was tender enough, but was a solid disappointment, except for my daughter.



Another $7 got me three tough spare ribs that had a hint of charcoal flavor and no smoke. Chewy meat and chewy fat didn't deepen my sadness that I missed visiting their restaurant.



Eva's House of BBQ has been pleasing enough on a couple of visits, so I had higher hopes from their trailer. The $7 turkey leg wasn't any better than Teal's. The skin was so tough I literally could not bite through it. After prying it away, there was more tough and mildly smoky meat.



A chopped beef sandwich was thrown together affair on a cold bun, and not representative of the good sandwiches I've had at their store.



I understand that this was a one-off event done for the good of the city, but the way these vendors mailed it in left a bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the city should know what they're getting if they choose to request their services at another event.

- BBQ Snob

1 comment:

smokinronniesbbq said...

i just don't get it, with your name on the line why you would not do your very best. chances to shine come few, far and in-between in this life.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT