Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bodacious BBQ (Sulphur Springs)


SULPHUR SPRINGS: Bodacious Bar-B-Q
1228 South Broadway Street

Sulphur Springs, TX 75482

903-885-6456 ‎

Open M-Sat 11-8:30, Sun 11-7


Bodacious has over a dozen locations. This is the fifth visited by this blog, and we're still in search of the perfect Bodacious. No matter how many we visit, each time a mediocre review is published yet another reader tells me to try a different location. It's become more of a humorous endeavor, but I'll continue to pull in under all those Bodacious signs until I find something great.



Brisket here had a hint of smoke flavor in the crusty bites, but the interior meat was nothing more than slightly dry roast beef. The slices had been completely trimmed, and lacked overall flavor. A dip into the oddly flavored sauce didn't help. The tomato based sauce is heavy on mustard and vinegar with little sweetness. I didn't find it pleasant. Ribs had plenty of punch from a very sweet rub whose ingredient list reads sugar, salt then black pepper. All of these were prominent in the flavor profile, but any sort of smokiness was missing in these thin St. Louis cut ribs. A side of beans were unremarkable, but the crunchy cole slaw with celery seed was enjoyable. Within minutes of posting my initial thoughts to Twitter that it was another so-so experience at Bodacious, someone implored me to try the Mount Pleasant location. The great Bodacious search continues.

Rating **
Bodacious Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I eat at this Bodacious all the time and I have to disagree with you.

Anonymous said...

I too eat there 5 days a week and strongly disagree with what you have said in your review. Brisket is always tender and has great smoke flavor, all the bodacious use the same sauce as the bottle says on it that I bought from there. Best bbq I have ever eaten period. Which is why I eat there along with my family who all love it so much.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT