Saturday, October 16, 2010

Uncle Dan's BBQ


WACO: Uncle Dan's Bar-B-Que
1001 Lake Air Dr

Waco, TX 76710

254-772-3532

Open M-Sat 10:30-9

www.uncledansbbq.com


In the same day I visited an empty Michna's which was serving up beautifully smoked meat with genuinely thankful service, I walked into a packed Uncle Dan's at 2:00 in the afternoon. Hoping for the best, I went with the three meat plate of ribs, brisket and hot links.



Simply put, it was awful outside of the nicely balanced pea salad. The brisket was chewy had little flavor of any kind let alone smokiness. The single spare rib was gargantuan, and damn chewy. My jaw got a workout trying to dislodge the few bites that I could stomach. Hot links that tasted like little more than hot dogs did nothing to save the day. Even the mac & cheese was subpar. This was one day when I was jealous of my wife (happy birthday, honey) who ordered a simple cheeseburger. She shared just enough to make me wish I could have reconsidered my order, except that pea salad.

Rating *
Uncle Dan's Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

GUNSandBACON said...

Uncle Dans is the best BBQ EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! You take that back.

Anonymous said...

What does this baloney (or lake there of in the case of Uncle Dan's) say about the taste of those in Waco that have consistently voted Uncle Dan's NUMBER 1 BBQ the last 15 YEARS? Do everyone a favor and stay in Austin.

Txdad said...

I tried the 3 meat dinner and, without a doubt, it was the worst BBQ dinner I have ever had. The chopped BBQ had pieces that were rock hard all through it. The coleslaw was nasty. The corn was bland and overcooked.I literally almost lost my dinner when I tried a bite of their deviled egg. Even their Tea was stale as all get out. The only thing that was tolerable was the dinner roll.

Wes said...

I agree. I have only been in Waco for about a year and everyone raved about this place. I even went there with a coupon for half price. Man was I disappointed. Friends think I'm crazy for never wanting to eat there again. Any other choice in Waco is better than this choice.

ProChoiceJesus said...

Being in Waco for about 20 years, I am consistently dismayed with those who say Uncle Dan's is the best, or even good. In fact, it is the worst out of about 20 of central Texas best BBQ joints. Snows is presently my favorite, & is a pleasant, peaceful drive down hwy. 77.
Mama & Papa Bs has my vote for #1 in Waco & I go there at least once a month.
I believe those who praise Uncle Dan's so much are truly BBQ-deprived & have yet to french kiss Louie Miller, or catch some of Snow's on their tounges. Anyone who defends Uncle Dans as being "good" or "the best" BBQ has obviously ONLY had Uncle Dan's poor excuse for smoked meat in their entire lives. If that's you, I would seriously suggest that beautiful saturday-morning drive down hwy 77 to Lexington from Waco. Of course you will have ordered your meat on friday or earlier in the week because sometimes Snow's BBQ runs out of meat before 10 a.m. Louie Miller BBQ in Taylor is just 15-20 minutes from Snows, then Franklin is a bit less than an hour south depending on your speed & Austin traffic. Hey! If you think Uncle Dans is good then you seriously need a BBQ initiation to REAL smoked meat! Uncle Dans is not good & it amazes me at how popular this place is in Waco. Just a bunch of blind & deceived Wacoans. Heck, even in Waco Mama & Papa Bs BLOWS Uncle Dans away!

Ricky

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT