Monday, January 4, 2010

Riscky's Bar-B-Q


FT. WORTH: Riscky's BBQ Stockyards
140 E. Exchange Ave.

Fort Worth, Texas 76106

817-626-7777

Open M-Thur 11-10, F-Sat 11-12am, Sun 11-9

www.risckys.com


Over a year ago, I tried Riscky's in Sundance Square without being impressed. I'd heard from a few sources that the Stockyards location was superior so I headed over to give it a try. This Riscky's is part of a larger complex of eateries, some of which are owned by the Riscky's family. Inside this large joint you'll find friendly service and plenty of people watching. The menu item that caught my attention was the hefty three meat platter, and I ordered it loaded with sliced brisket, pork ribs and Riscky's famous beef ribs.



The beef ribs were big and meaty with plenty of beefy flavor. The large amount of intramuscular fat was well rendered, and much of the chewiness had been smoked out of these tender rib. Pork ribs were also good with a nice texture and decent smokiness. The flavor was a bit more bland than the beef ribs, but it was a decent rib nonetheless. What really shined were the big thick slices of brisket, literally. I think some of the brisket rippings, or some other liquid was brushed on the brisket just before serving. This might be considered cheating, but the great flavor that it imparted on each slice was magnificent. A nice line of beautifully rendered fat was left at the bottom of each slice. The protein held together well, but needed the slightest tug of the tooth to yield. These were some exemplary slices of beef save the need for a bit more smoke.

If you've got the choice between this location and the Sundance Square location, make your way down to the Stockyards and get a heap of meat on your plate.

Rating ***
Riscky's Barbeque on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

bourgon said...

I think the best of all the Riscky's BBQ is the original, about 5 minutes west of the Stockyards. At one point, that was still providing the BBQ for all the others.

and a recommendation in Ft. Worth, since you seem to be covering it right now: Mom's on Evans. Go for lunch. And try the Bologna; the Ribs are good, but occasionally you'll get the "fatty ribs", which are not a lovely thing. Brisket's decent, but when the ribs are on, they're ON. Bologna is a pleasant surprise.

Mr. L said...

Tried this location for the first time, the three-meat plate of beef and pork ribs and brisket was acceptable, though expensive. What I didn't like was an employee (manager probably) dressed in cowboy duds who was watchful and unfriendly, like he thought customers would skip out. If they're that worried about it they should ask for the money up front. It's insulting to honest people and not something I'm used to.

Doug Zedler said...

I agree; the Stockyards location is superior. Had a sliced beef sandwich last summeer. The brisket had good bark, decent smoke, and the right amount of rendered fat. Very tasty.

Chip said...

Since moving here from Cali in 96 we always bring our out of town guest to Riscky's at the Stockyards, while they have changed to the short beef ribs on occasion (now we call to see which ones they are being serving)the atmosphere, food, ice cold beer make this a must go. I would smoke the ribs myself now that I am texas-ized, but it is hard to beat their quality. TIP - the second portion of beef ribs are always the best, the ones they bring out first are usually dryer and a little tougher. My usual order is the Beef Ribs, potato salad and extra jalapenos. Love to sqeaze that jalapeno juice over the ribs and add the hot BBQ sauce over the ribs. I usually eat from 10 my personal record 17 ribs, but since everyone in my party orders and doesn't reorder, they are diffently not losing any money on me. I hope they never change a thing. I have been able to count on a great Beef Rib meal for the last 15 years. Sometimes when I need a rib fix I stop by the little shack on HWY 26 now that they carry the ribs, they are oven reheated like all the other places except for the one by Camp Bowie - I think that is where they actually smoke them.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT