Friday, January 8, 2010

Greenburg Smoked Turkey

If you've never heard of Greenberg Smoked Turkeys, they're quite famous around Texas, but this lover of smoked meats had never had the chance to try one. Smoke just outside Tyler, Texas, they'll ship them anywhere or easier yet, over the holidays you could pick on up at Central Market in Dallas. I convinced my wife that it was a good idea to have one on hand for Christmas night, and it was the hit of the party.



The anticipation begins when you open the box. The smell of smoke was strong when I pulled the paper bag from the box.



I was salivating at this point as I discovered yet another barrier between me and my turkey.



Inside that final bag was a thing of beauty. The dark skin was smoke personified, and I quickly cut a few slices for munching.



The slices had an incredible flavor from both the smoke and the salt and pepper injection. Although a bit dry, the meat was thoroughly enjoyable and worth the $50 price tag. The slices were great naked, but even better on a Hawaiian roll with some Durkee Famous Sauce.

- BBQ Snob

And here is the rest of it.

2 comments:

runDMC said...

Greenberg's and Meyer's Elgin Sausage used to be my "Now, this is Texas!!" food items to send to out of staters. Greenberg's, as you note, is still great. Unfortunately, Meyer's has gone way way south and I no longer buy. I'm looking for a substitute so I can keep converting all those heathens out there that desperately need to know what Texas food is about.

Unknown said...

These are my favorites. I send them to friends and relatives who live outside of Texas as Christmas gifts.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT