Thursday, March 5, 2009

Outlaw’s Texas Style Bar-B-Que & Grill

GRAND PRAIRIE: Outlaw’s Bar-B-Q
2334 S. Belt Line Rd.
Grand Prairie, TX 75051
972-263-6063
Open M-Thur 6:30-9:30, F-Sat 6:30-10, Sun 7-9:30
www.outlawsbbq.com

I’d prefer a big-ass picture of Lorenzo Lamas to the creepy desperado character on their marquee. Plus, they serve breakfast. This Grand Prairie establishment, in my mind, is trying to be a few too many things to a few too many people. The results in brisket and ribs were both very pedestrian. We suspect they trimmed the brisket of crust and fat, so that is essentially a non-starter for me. The ribs were cooked acceptably but lacked in flavor. The rest of our experience was fine. It’s just that barbecue appears to be more of a component of the restaurant’s theme than a critical part of their dining experience.

Rating **

Outlaws BBQ on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently discovered Outlaws

I think it is one of the better BBQ places i have been to in the North Texas Area

Based on beef, ribs, beans, slaw, and team i would have given it at least three and maybe more stars

Interestingly, I agree with most of your other ratings, so was surprised at this one

whargoul said...

Totally agree with this review.

I've eaten there twice and both times I left thoroughly disappointed.

Considering this is a BBQ restaurant (and not a chain) I expect their Q to be better than my own. My wife said it was "BBQ for old people" and said "if Luby's did BBQ this would be the result" (LubyQue).

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT